Thursday, December 27, 2007

Black Bean Pork Ribs, Grilled Teriyaki Baby Octopus and Stir Fried Vege

Calvin's Black Bean Pork Ribs - My Specialty

I developed this recipe in Houghton, MI. I first cooked it for Shu Wei and Kate, later on to many other Malaysians.

This dish takes about 1h30m to prepare. Basic ingredients include:
1. Pork Ribs
2. Minced Garlic
3. "Shao Xing" chinese cooking wine
4.Mushroom soy sauce
5. Soy sauce
6. Oyster Sauce
7. Sesame oil
8. Diced onions and Sliced green peppers
9. Star Anise and dry chilli
10. Sugar, Salt, pepper
11. Water

Instructions:
1. First heat the oil until it is hot enough, then throw in a few cloves of star anise and a few pieces of dried chilli.
2. Fragrant them at low-medium fire to ensure it doesn't burn.
3. Next, throw in some garlic, wait till you can smell the garlic aroma and then throw in the ribs.
4. When the meat is half cooked, you can start putting in the ingredients for the sauce
No fixed amount for each ingredient for the sauce. You will need some water for the sauce too.
I just adjust the ingredients until it tastes right to me, which makes it my special dish.
5. After about 45mins, throw in the onions and green peppers.
6. Simmer it for another 45mins constantly stirring and adjusting the heat from low-medium to medium and the last 10minutes, High. Cooking this long is to dry up the sauce and ensure that the sauce is absorbed thoroughly into the meat. It will also make the meat tender too. The longer you cook the ribs, the easier the meat comes off when you eat it.

It takes long to cook and you will have to keep on stirring, else it will burn. You need to keep on stirring at low-medium heat.

Once ready, serve it and top it off with some spring onions.

Grilled Teriyaki Baby Octopus



All you need to do to prepare this dish is marinate the Squid/baby octopus with
1. Teriyaki Sauce
2. Sesame oil
3. Sugar
4. Oil
for 4 hours and pan grill it till it cooks.
Baby octopus does not take too long to cook.


Stir Fried Broccoli and Cauliflower with minced pork

This one is simple.
Broccoli, Cauliflower, minced pork, sugar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sale and pepper to taste.

P.S. I have never cooked rice in the USA and the reason, I don't know. I never cook in my dorm, and usually my senior will cook the rice. But my senior Kenny has taught me.



Enjoy...


1 comment:

Kenny Ng said...

The Pork Rib is awesome, the Vegie stir fried is good, but the squid is... okok. Good try, qualify to be my housemate in the future! :P

Live to eat or Eat to live?