Sunday, January 6, 2008

Roti Telur Bawang with Fish Curry and Sambal

Yesterday I had leftover curry. So for brunch today, I had roti telur bawang!

I bought frozen roti bawang from Jim's Foodmart. You can get some asian products from this grocery shop. I think I have seen this brand being sold in Malaysian supermarkets as well.


It's made in Malaysia, but don't know why they call it Paratha instead of Roti Canai but I think Paratha is the original Indian name. Singaporeans call theirs "roti prata".

Wiki on Paratha, Roti Canai, and Roti Prata


For once I am happy/proud to see that sign on something.

So, all you need to do is take out the dough straight from the freezer and place it over a medium heat pan. No oil is needed. Pan fry it until it's golden brown and when dough is puffy.


Once one side is ready, flip it over, cook it for some time and right before it starts browning, remove the roti canai, pour one scrambled egg onto the pan, let the egg cook partially and then put the roti canai back onto the pan. This will allow the egg to stick with the roti canai. The result...

I know, the original one has egg in the inside of the roti canai. But I don't know how to make roti canai dough, so this is the closest I can get to Roti Telur Bawang.

I served it with the left over fish curry and sambal from last night. I always eat my roti canai with fish curry, seldom chicken curry or dahl.

I

also made a cup of hot chocolate to substitute with milo for this mouth watering meal!
The frozen roti canai really does taste authentic like the fresh one from Malaysia. The egg made the roti canai so much more fragrant. Although it is frozen "roti bawang", you can't taste much of the onion in my opinion. When it is in it's uncooked form you can see some tiny bits of spring onions.

Another satisfying Malaysian meal!




1 comment:

YilingL said...

reading ur msn nick i really thought u made roti canai from scratch!! hahaha... kena tipu pulak :p but yeah now u can make ur own msian food :)

Live to eat or Eat to live?