Tuesday, January 22, 2008

First Broomball Match I.H.O.P. vs. "No Balance"

This spring semester I am playing as goalie for one my International House broomball teams. There are 2 teams in I-House. My team's name is I.H.O.P, in full "International House Of People".

For those who haven't heard of broomball ever, let me make it simple to you.

It's just like a Ice Hockey game EXCEPT, you make your own broomball stick out of a broom and lotsa duct tape, you use a plastic ball, 5 on 5 and played on a slippery ice hockey rink OUTDOORS in the case of MTU. Broomball in MTU is only played during winter.

More info can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broomball


The rink


The broomball stick (mine)


The ball (made from rubber)

Here are some shots as goalie...









Saved a goal shot between my legs.

The final score was 1-3. So, we lost. But I was "man of the match" cause I saved the most goals in the match (>10).

And now my thigh hurts cause one save of mine, I had to dive, and I somehow dived on the ball and on impact my thigh slammed onto the ball against the ground. On another save, I dived forward and I slammed onto the ball against my stomach. During that moment, my stomach kinda hurt. But it's alright now.

There was another situation where I was trying to grabbed the ball, another player slammed his stick onto my fingers. Luckily my glove give me some form of protection.

I really have to get more protection despite all these....


Shin guards, knee guards, elbow guards

I probably need something like this for my thighs...



On other news, do look out for more posts from me as Winter Carnival is approaching. MTU has lotsa activities to keep us company during the cold, grey and lazy winter.

One thing that I am looking forward to are the Snow Statues. There are 2 categories, all nighter and month long.
Here is the result of one month long of building with snow.

This was done last year by one of the Fraternities. Their theme was "Hanging Garden of Babylon". The main carnival theme was "Ancient Worlds Come to Play in Snowy Drifts of Modern Day"

Check out more photos from last year's Winter Carnival photos here
http://www.mtu.edu/carnival/2007/2007/statue/completedOne/
http://www.mtu.edu/carnival/2007/2007/statue/completedTwo/

This year's theme is Frightful Creatures with Chilling Features. I wonder what "creatures" am I gonna meet.

Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Live to eat or Eat to live?