Friday, November 9, 2007

Diwali Nite - Food

The Indian Students Association of MTU organized a Divali Nite event which includes a Indian cuisine dinner at the Wadsworth Dining Hall and a performance at the Rozsa Center. It costs $12 (RM39.79) for a ticket for the meal and performance. But students with their meal card which we use to swipe for our usual meals at the dining hall can use the meal card to enter. However we need to pay $5 (RM16.58) for the performance.

Upon entering the dining hall, the fume of Indian Spices in the air reminds me of the Malaysian mamak stall atmosphere. I was so excited and my stomach started making noises...

And here's what I've got to pamper my hungry stomach...

Here's the menu for today.

1. Mixed Vege Pakoda - Fried flour fritters with onions, potato, chickpeas, bittergourd
2. Jeera Rice - Basmati rice, thinly sliced onion, cumin seeds, cumin powder
3. Gobi Mutter - Cauliflower & Peas Masala
4. Shahi Paneer - Fresh unaged cheese with indian herb and spices
5. Mango Sambhar - Mango pickles
6. Chutney - 3 types: mint, spicy, coconut
7. Dahl - Indian Chickpea stew
8. Naan - Oven baked indian bread
10. Papadum - Indian spiced cracker

Mixed Vege Pakoda

It's cripsy and you can taste the sweetness of the vegetables surrounded with a thick coating of spiced flour.
Tasted really good with the spicy chuntey,


Gobi Mutter and Spicy Chutney

Shahi Paneer

I thought it was tofu initially then it crossed my mind, Northern indians like cheese. I am not a big fan of cheese and thus, this is not one of my fav dish.

Papadum

I had a few bowls of this stuff! I love them!! Even in Malaysia I used to buy the dry papadum and fry them myself. It's a lil on the salty side, but the spices seem to balance it out.

The sauce in all the dishes tasted great eaten with the Jeera rice. It's impossible to describe the taste in the sauces because Indian dishes uses a lot of spices. One thing's for sure... The taste is one of a kind... rich in flavors.

And here's me and my roommate. Yeap, first time meeting him in my blog huh? Surprised? He's from Herpei province in China.

I will try and post photos from the performance when I am actually there at the Rozsa Center. I am writing this right after dinner. And the performance starts at 8pm only.

Stay tuned!


1 comment:

YilingL said...

hey your fav papadum!!

Live to eat or Eat to live?